Built on what was the rural property ‘Llanherne’, Hobart Airport was officially opened on 23 June 1956. By 1957 it was the fifth busiest airport in Australia. Originally operated by the Federal Department of Aviation, it was privatised in 1988.
Since then Hobart Airport has continued to grow and now welcomes over 2 million passengers per year.
For those interested in the story of Hobart Airport and Aviation in Tasmania, a publication called Our Front Door by Lindy Scripts was produced in 2006.