Our story

Who we are

Hobart Airport is Australia’s most southern airport, with one of Australia’s most picturesque approaches.

We are the largest and busiest airport in Tasmania with over 60% of all travellers to the state coming through Hobart Airport. We are curfew free and are a proud part of the Tasmanian community.

Hobart Airport is Australia’s ninth busiest domestic passenger airport and we are continuing to grow and develop to meet the needs of our customers, shareholders and our community.

Corporate profile

Hobart International Airport Pty Ltd (HIAPL) operates the Hobart Airport, one of the most scenic airports in Australia. We operate to meet the needs of our shareholders by ensuring safe and efficient services to travellers.

In October 2019, a consortium comprising of Australian-based asset manager QIC and Dutch-based airport operator, Royal Schiphol Group acquired a 70% equity interest in Hobart Airport. National superannuation fund, Spirit Super, holds the remaining 30% equity interest.

Our history

Built on what was the rural property ‘Llanherne’, Hobart Airport was officially opened on 23 June 1956. By 1957 it was the fifth busiest airport in Australia. Originally operated by the Federal Department of Aviation, it was privatised in 1998.

Since then Hobart Airport has continued to grow and now welcomes over 2.8 million passengers per year.

For those interested in the story of Hobart Airport and Aviation in Tasmania, a publication called ‘Our Front Door’ by Lindy Scripts was produced in 2006.